Mesothelioma or Asbestos Question?





Asbestos in Your Home

Asbestos was once wildly popular due to its amazing abilities to resist heat, fire, electricity, and chemicals. However, after hundreds of years of use, people finally began to realize the dangers of this silicate mineral. Although its use was severely restricted in the 1980s, many people may still have asbestos in their homes.

Asbestos was often used throughout buildings in things like counter tops, vinyl flooring, roofing tiles, and wall insulation. Of course, many people saw it as a helpful material to protect against fire damage and other problems. However, as asbestos deteriorates, it can cause serious health problems such as asbestosis and mesothelioma.

Friable vs. Non-Friable Asbestos

Asbestos is not especially dangerous when it is in one piece. If it begins to flake into microscopic particles, though, people can inhale and ingest the asbestos and suffer the negative effects of this carcinogen. Asbestos that cannot flake is called non-friable, whereas the dangerous, flaking type of asbestos is deemed friable.

In your home, friable asbestos can put you and your loved ones in serious danger. If you suspect that you have any asbestos in your home, you should not disturb it and release more particles. Instead, you should have a certified asbestos inspector examine the substance or send in samples to a lab. Due to the potential dangers of the asbestos fibers, it is imperative to wear a mask and disturb the material as little as possible while cutting a sample.

Contact Us

Even one moment of exposure to friable asbestos can cause you to develop mesothelioma. If you have come into contact with asbestos or been diagnosed with mesothelioma, please fill out the contact form at the top of the page for more information regarding the next steps you should take.

Home  |  Asbestos  |  Mesothelioma  |  Treatment  |  Exposure  |  Legal  |  News  |  Articles  |  Other Law Sites  |  Log in | John Eddie Williams +