More than 100 power plant workers were sent home after a recent asbestos incident exposed many to the carcinogen.
Asbestos fibers become dangerous when inhaled or ingested and can cause legions that can develop into lung cancer. Officials said that the employees at the power plant have been sent home indefinitely once test results confirmed that there were high levels of asbestos present at the site.
The asbestos had been disturbed during a demolition project at the plant and the asbestos fibers became airborne throughout the plant, including the break room and eating areas. The area is now being environmentally cleaned and monitored by occupational hygienists.