A contractor in Grand Rapids, Mich., GRL Properties LLC, has been fined $115 thousand for asbestos violations while working on the John Bean building in Lansing.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration of Michigan investigated the project and found that the company did not conduct proper procedures during the asbestos removal process.
After not conducting a proper asbestos investigation, the workers were unaware that the material they were in charge of removing was harmless when in reality, they may have been exposed to the toxic material while working in the 450,000 sq. foot building. Inhaling asbestos fibers is the primary cause for developing mesothelioma, a rare and aggressive form of lung cancer.
If you or a loved one has been exposed to asbestos and you would like to learn more about the health risks associated with it, contact us or visit our site http://www.mesothelioma-asbestoshelp.org.