A total of $7.7 million was recently awarded by a Syracuse court jury to a woman after her husband succumbed to mesothelioma after prolonged asbestos exposure in his workplace, syracuse.com reported on January 6.
Reports said Mary’s husband Lewis Nash, 81, died of mesothelioma cancer in 2012 after he was exposed to asbestos fibers in a garage where school buses were repaired or maintained. A lawyer representing Nash’s family said some of the bus parts contained asbestos and contaminated the air in the garage. The buses owned by Fayetteville-Manlinus school, where Lewis worked for more than 30 years as a driver, were obtained from Navistar. Late last year, the jury ruled that Navistar was accountable for Lewis’ death after his family and other witnesses gave their testimonies. The amount awarded, considered to be the largest settlement awarded for asbestos exposure in Syracuse, was given to the family to compensate them for taking care of Lewis and for Mary’s loss.
Aside from great physical and emotional pain, families who lost their loved ones after being exposed to asbestos also suffer from great financial difficulties. When asbestos is inhaled, people are at risk of developing fatal mesothelioma cancer. If you want to know more about asbestos danger and how a lawyer may work for you, simply fill out the contact form on the top of this page today.