A settlement of $650,000 was recently awarded to the estate of a former Montana worker months after he died of mesothelioma cancer due to prolonged asbestos exposure.
According to reports, the victim, Lauren DuPuis, was a janitor at the Yellowstone County courthouse since the 1980s. It was there that he was exposed to asbestos and later became “permanently disabled” after developing mesothelioma. DuPuis died in July after filing a civil complain against the County in April.
DuPuis’ civil complaint reached a decision in November, months after he passed away. His lawyers acknowledged the settlement on their client’s behalf, and the money will go to the deceased’s estate.
Mesothelioma is a rare fatal cancer, the only known cause of which is the inhalation of asbestos dust. Even family member of individuals exposed to this harmful chemical may contract mesothelioma through contact with dust on clothes. If your family has been impacted by asbestos exposure or mesothelioma, get in touch with our attorneys by filling out our contact form and a representative will reach out to you with more information on how we can help.