The Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union in Australia estimated that 450 workers signed an asbestos register due to concerns that they came into contact with asbestos while working at Perth Children’s Hospital, WA News reported.
Roof drillers feared that they exposed workers to asbestos dust while drilling roof panels on July 11 after a “white substance” enveloped them at work. The premises was still accessible the following day as authorities tried to determine whether the white substance was asbestos. The government of Barnett had a contract with John Holland for the construction of the hospital facility. John Holland obtained their roof panels from the Chinese company Yuanda. Australian authorities are seeking an explanation from Yuanda as to why the white dust came from the panels. John Holland said they will individually meet with potentially exposed workers to obtain more information about the incident.
Workers are at a high risk of contracting a rare but fatal lung cancer called mesothelioma if they accidentally inhale asbestos dust in the workplace. Though the illness has no cure, seeking help from an attorney can be beneficial for patients who need medication funds to prolong their lives. Find out how an attorney could work for you by filling out the contact form on this page today.