Mesothelioma or Asbestos Question?





Former BNSF employees suing company for asbestos exposure

Three people who are plagued with respiratory disease allegedly due to work-related asbestos exposure filed a lawsuit against BNSF Railway on June 3, a report from the Daily Reporter stated.

The plaintiffs, identified as Gary Sachtjen, Charles Anderson and Harold Gjerman, all claimed that their workplace surroundings were filled with materials that contained asbestos. A lawyer representing the plaintiffs said that BNSF was liable for putting its workers at risk, as the company failed to provide a safe workplace. The plaintiffs, who worked in the railway for at least 34 years each, are currently seeking compensation of $300,000 for each of them. The lawsuit also identified former railway operators as defendants, including Portland, Seattle, and Spokane Railways. Reports revealed that several lawsuits have been filed against the railway company in past years.

Workers unfortunately develop mesothelioma, a rare and fatal cancer that affects the lungs, when asbestos fibers are inhaled over time. If you have developed respiratory illnesses from asbestos exposure, a lawyer may help you seek compensation if negligent parties are involved. Learn more about asbestos hazards and how you may file a claim against negligent companies today by filling out the contact form on the top of this page.    

Modified asbestos bill may limit victims’ claims

A group of lawyers are criticizing the amended asbestos bill recently signed Governor Doug Ducey, claiming it will limit the compensations that should be given to asbestos victims, The Island Packet reported on April 11.

Governor Ducey reportedly signed the amended House Bill 2603 to further promote fairness and transparency in asbestos litigation. Under the amended bill, people filing lawsuits after being harmed by asbestos should give a sworn statement announcing any current or future claims they may file. In certain situations, businesses that are being sued may possibly prolong court proceedings by asking a judge to delay it if the victim could file a claim through one of the many trust funds set up for asbestos victims. The governor signed the bill days after national asbestos awareness week.

People unfortunately develop asbestosis or mesothelioma, a rare cancer, after being exposed to asbestos over a period of time.If this has happened to you, and you believe that negligent companies are liable, get in touch with a lawyer today by filling out the contact form on the top of this page. An asbestos attorney may help you determine your eligibility to pursue funds to pay for past and future medical expenses and other damages.

Bowburn woman exposed to asbestos receives compensation

A Bowburn woman who is suffered from health problems due to asbestos exposure in her childhood community recently received a payout from the company responsible for the asbestos exposure, according to an article published on Friday, October 18.

According to reports, the woman whose name was withheld, was exposed to asbestos from a local factory near her childhood home between the years 1967 and 1983. The woman is now suffering from terminal cancer after making snow balls that were contaminated with asbestos.

A court settled her case, and she was able to receive compensation from Cape Intermediate Holdings Plc.

The woman, who is currently living in London as a fashion designer, said that she was angry to learn that she and her other friends had been exposed to asbestos while innocently playing in their village.

In the United States alone, many people are traumatically affected by being exposed to asbestos. If you have developed mesothelioma or other health problems as a result of such exposure, you may be owed compensation. Fill out the contact form at the top of this page to find out more about legal options in this situation.

Garlock plans to claim lesser financial responsibility in upcoming asbestos lawsuit

In the upcoming trial involving Garlock Sealing Technologies LLC and claimants, the company plans to claim that it owes only $125 million in asbestos liabilities, despite plaintiffs saying that the actual amount is closer to $1.3 billion.

It must be decided how much the company owes before the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Charlotte, North Carolina begins the trial on July 22 to determine whether  Garlock can be held financially liable for causing mesothelioma, both currently and in the future. This court decision will largely affect the company’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy petition.

People have been alleging that exposure to asbestos in Garlock’s gaskets, conveyor belts, among others caused their diagnosis of mesothelioma. However, in a pretrial brief this week, Garlock stated that it will argue  it has “little to no responsibility” regarding these claims.

Mesothelioma, which usually affects the lungs, the abdomen, or the heart, is a fatal cancer typically caused by asbestos exposure. For further information about asbestos, mesothelioma, and the options available to those who have developed this disease due to someone else’s negligence, fill out the contact form on this page.

Federal judge rules on Chattanooga asbestos case

A federal judge recently ruled on an asbestos case in Chattanooga that was filed against three men who allegedly polluted the city with asbestos fibers during a demolition project at an old textile mill.

The three men faced time in a federal prison for supposedly violating the Clean Air Act. One man has been sentenced to four years in prison, another was sentenced to 20 months, and the last was sentenced to 18 months. Each man and their respective companies were also fined over $20,000 in restitution that must be paid to the Environmental Protection Agency. The three men are supposed to report to prison on November 16.

According to court documents, the demolition project took place between August 2004 and December 2005 and sent asbestos-containing dust throughout the city, mainly residential areas. One man was the property owner, another was the site foreman, and the third man was a demolition contractor. Together they were charged in a 10-count indictment with conspiracy to defraud the U.S.

If you have been exposed to asbestos and would like to learn more about your rights, contact the asbestos help center today.

Buckingham palace may have asbestos issue

A report has recently been released that shows that there is an asbestos issue at Buckingham palace.

According to officials, asbestos was found in multiple areas including  the ducts underneath the floor in the south wing and this removal project is underway. The estimated cost for this is one million pounds.

It has been stated that the entire removal project will take nearly 20 years. The oldest area of the palace were built in the 1700s, but some areas were replaced after a World War II bomb destroyed parts. This was before asbestos was a known carcinogen.

Asbestos is the primary cause of certain aggressive cancers such as mesothelioma, contact us if you have been exposed to asbestos and would like to learn more.

Two indicted after Riverside asbestos removal

Two men were recently indicted on charges of improperly removing asbestos from a former hospital in Riverside.

According to court officials, the two men, ages 53 and 59, were charged with illegally removing asbestos without a license, using workers that were not qualified to do so, and failing to use the correct equipment when removing the carcinogenic.

The former hospital is a four story building that was used as a hospital between the years 1935 and 1995 and then a nursing home until 2005. The building was then vacant until its demolition in 2010. The contractors allegedly used inmates and day laborers to do the job and failed to follow state and federal laws that are put in place in order to remove the products safely.

 

Oak Ridge cleanup workers file asbestos lawsuit

Nearly half-dozen Oak Ridge cleanup workers have filed a lawsuit in Roane County Circuit Court after claiming that they were exposed to asbestos without protective gear, along with other hazardous material, nearly a decade ago.

The lawsuit was filed last weekend and is seeking compensation from a number of government contractors who were involved in a cleanup project in 2000 and 2001 at the Department of Energy’s K-25 plant.

Six plaintiffs filed the lawsuit after working at R&R Electric Corp. as independent contractors. The plaintiffs claim in the lawsuit that they were told that the condensers that they were using did not contain asbestos particles and that they were denied protective gear when they asked for it.

They are now claiming that they were exposed to asbestos among other toxic materials while working. Lawyers representing the men have stated that they have experienced medical problems as a result of being exposed at the Oak Ridge Cleanup.

If you would like to learn more about how asbestos exposure happens, contact us today.

Iowa downtown library to post-pone opening after asbestos debris found

Downtown library in Iowa will have to postpone their opening as a result of asbestos-containing debris found on the site.

Workers that were on the site of the Cedar Rapids library when the found asbestos material underneath the building that was being removed to make way for the library.

Officials have stated that it must have been left behind from schools that used to be on the site. Asbestos removal was added to the contract, but it will cost more money than anticipated. The library will now open in Summer 2013.

If you or a loved one has been exposed to asbestos materials without your knowledge and you would like to learn more about the toxic product, contact us with any questions or visit our site for helpful articles and blogs at www.mesothelioma-asbestoshelp.org.

Civil lawsuit filed against company for improperly handling asbestos

A Philadelphia contractor has now been sued by the U.S. Department of Environmental Protection after they illegally removed asbestos from a building and violated guidelines put in place by the department to remove the known carcinogen safely.

According to the civil lawsuit, Lovett Contracting removed 3,000 feet of asbestos insulation from piping that was above the grounds of a building that was to be demolished in early 2007. The contractor did not tell the EPA of this removal process.

The company broke the law by failing to wet the asbestos insulation and put it into containers that would not leak. This is done in order to stop as much air pollution as possible. The company did not even have the building inspected for asbestos. The company faces six asbestos-related charges.

If you or a loved one has been exposed to asbestos and you would like to learn more about the possible risk factors, contact us or visit our web site at www.mesothelioma-asbestoshelp.org in order to have all of your questions answered.

Archives

Categories

Blogroll

Admin

Home  |  Asbestos  |  Mesothelioma  |  Treatment  |  Exposure  |  Legal  |  News  |  Articles  |  Other Law Sites  |  Log in | John Eddie Williams +