Mesothelioma or Asbestos Question?





Dozens of VA employees potentially exposed to asbestos in NY

An October 3 article of the Daily Messenger said approximately 38 employees at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) in Canandaigua, New York suspect they inhaled asbestos dust in their workplace.

According to reports, the Veterans Crisis Line expansion project was stopped by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) in conjunction with the EPA due to concerns that asbestos mineral was negligently handled. The workers’ union later confirmed that the VA management had committed serious safety violations that put their employees at risk. The workers decided to file for their compensation benefits upon being informed of the VA negligence, the union confirmed. Though VA authorities in Canandaigua said none of their staffers were exposed to asbestos, they did say they are working with OSHA agents regarding the asbestos issue.

When asbestos particles enter the lungs, workers may suffer fatal respiratory illnesses such as mesothelioma. If you believe you were exposed to asbestos dust, getting help from a lawyer could be beneficial, especially if you believe negligent parties were involved. Get in touch with a representative today by filling out the contact form on the top of this page.

PA contractor sued for breach of contract suspicion and asbestos violations

A lawsuit was recently filed against a demolition contractor in Pennsylvania after they were accused of breaking a contract on a project last year and for being negligent in removing asbestos minerals, a September 20 article of the Weirton Daily Times reported.

The plaintiff, identified as Ronald Cross, is claiming that Unis Demolition breached a 2015 project contract by demolishing and conducting asbestos abatement in the old AIR building in New Cumberland. According to the lawsuit filed in Hancock County Circuit Court, Unis did not fulfill the terms of the contract with Cross and extracted metals from the facility considered valuable. Unis caused financial loss equivalent to $21,400 as a result of their actions. The demolition began in January 2015 and was stopped in April of the same year after authorities detected asbestos inside the facility. Agents from the Department of Environmental Protection later discovered Unis violated asbestos removal regulations. The company’s owners, identified as Joan Unis and Ralph Unis, were also identified as defendants in the lawsuit.

Such negligence, unfortunately, can cause fatal illnesses linked to asbestos exposure. However, if you or a loved one developed a respiratory illness as the result of someone else’s negligence with asbestos, a lawyer can help you obtain compensation. Fill out the contact form on this page to get in touch with a representative about your case.

Owner of Sioux City establishment charged for wrongful asbestos removal

A business owner in Sioux City allegedly violated the Clean Air Act due to improper asbestos removal, a Sioux City Journal article stated on June 25.

A hearing is scheduled for Larry Wolf at a Sioux City federal court for numerous asbestos law violations. The building reportedly had its asbestos-laden insulation around metal pipes removed by untrained workers. Wolf also failed to notify the state that he would conduct building renovations and made falsifications to EPA. Sample materials from the building were taken by authorities that will be tested for asbestos.

Negligent individuals who fail to follow asbestos laws endanger the lives of people who, if exposed, may develop serious health problems from this mineral. By filling out the contact form on the top of this page, you can get important information regarding asbestos hazards and how you can get help if you have been exposed to it due to other’s negligence.

Asbestos law violations during apartment renovation result in fines

The four parties involved in an apartment renovation in Oregon last December were fined after improperly handling asbestos, the Statesman Journal stated on June 12.

According to reports, the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) ordered an apartment owner, its property manager, and two contractors to settle a fine totaling $36,800 in connection to an apartment repair conducted at 677 E. Main Street. The contractor responsible for the water damage repair recklessly discarded debris later found to contain asbestos fibers. The firm hired to remove asbestos from the apartment was heavily fined after failing to implement a negative pressure system in the process and for failure to provide a copy of an asbestos survey report on the site. The apartment owner and the property manager were also fined for failing to have the apartment inspected for asbestos prior to renovations. The DEQ stated that the asbestos violations might have exposed workers and residents to dangerous asbestos fibers.

Exposure to asbestos fibers can cause serious health problems that affect your respiratory system. If you think negligent parties are liable for your exposure to the hazardous mineral, fill out the contact form on the top of this page today to learn how you can receive help.

Penalty of $850,000 fine to be meted out to erring businessman

A Springfield Township businessman, David Sugar, Sr., will have to pay $850,000 to compensate for the asbestos contamination that his company’s team wrought upon unsuspecting civilians during their demolition of an old steel mill in Steubenville, Ohio.

Sugar, who also violated the law when he bribed ex-Congressman Jim Traficant in 2003, was sentenced by Jefferson County Judge Joseph Bruzzese, Jr. to pay the fine for not taking consideration of the asbestos dispersed in the area when he had the old Weirton Steel plant demolished.

Sugar had already been sentenced to other penalties for other charges related to the case last year, including 15 weekends in jail, three years of probation with house arrest, and a $10,000 fine after admitting guilt to four counts of Clean Air Act violations.

Asbestos are responsible for causing a serious disease known as mesothelioma. Tragically, this extremely deadly disease effects numerous Americans each year due to irresponsible and reckless people, like Sugar. For more information about this disease, asbestos, and other related topics, visit our site or get in touch with a representative.

Developer pleads guilty to abestos violations, fined by EPA

A developer has recently plead guilty to asbestos violations that spur from the redevelopment project of a sawmill. The developer stated that he hired an unlicensed contractor in order to demolish an old building and when doing so, asbestos particles were sent into the air near a residential neighborhood.

After this occurred, the site was declared a Superfund by the U.S. Environment Protection Agency and nearly$ 1.6 million was spent in order to clean up the area. When the cleanup process occurred, it was found that there was nearly 4 million pounds of asbestos on the site.

The developer entered a plea deal and was ordered to pay restitution for the cleanup, which totaled to $1.6 million. The 68-year-old man will also complete 300 hours of community service and will be placed on probation for three years. The property featured multiple buildings that had varying degrees of damage.

Asbestos exposure is the primary cause of the development of mesothelioma, a rare and serious lung cancer. To learn more about the affects of asbestos, visit the Mesothelioma help center website today by clicking here.

Theater to undergo asbestos removal after grant awarded

The city of Steubenville, Ohio has recently received a grant of nearly $96,700 in order to have the asbestos removed from the Grand Theater that is located on Fourth Street.

The grant is given as a part of the Clean Ohio Revitalization Fund and the Clean Ohio Council has approved nearly $19 million in grants at this time.

According to the Herald Star online, these grants will be involved in nearly 11 cleanup projects, which are estimated to create nearly 900 jobs for residents in the area. After the asbestos removal at the Grand Theater, it will be reopened as a movie theater and performing arts center.

The Clean Ohio Revitalization Fund is a competitive fund that provides up to $3 million in grants to help with environmental cleanup, improving infrastructure, acquiring new property and demolishing structures if needed.

Landlord cited after asbestos violations

A landlord is facing charges after he allegedly hired homeless workers to help tear down a Lake Avenue home that was contaminated with asbestos.

It has also been said in the case that the man not only handled asbestos tile the wrong way,  but he reused some of the tiles in another project. The man owns 13 properties in the area.

The owner allegedly did this in order to avoid paying a $200,000 bill to take down the asbestos legally. He is currently charged with two felony counts of intentionally handling toxic materials and numerous counts of air pollution without permits.

Asbestos violations are very serious because the inhalation of asbestos particles are primary cause of mesothlelioma, a rare form of lung cancer. If you have been exposed to asbestos and would like to learn more, contact us or visit our site today at www.mesothelioma-asbestoshelp.org.

Archives

Categories

Blogroll

Admin

Home  |  Asbestos  |  Mesothelioma  |  Treatment  |  Exposure  |  Legal  |  News  |  Articles  |  Other Law Sites  |  Log in | John Eddie Williams +